We don’t recommend it. “Do-it-yourself” negotiations have some major hurdles to achieving any success. Some of these points include but are not limited to the following;
- Understanding interchange and individual transaction classification
- Knowing the rate and fee structures, hidden fees like BIN, assessments, and transaction fees
- Contract terms, points of negotiation, and the likelihood of certain negotiable points
- Profitability of the acquirer, ISO or ISV (helps to understand what credit card processors and software vendors are willing to accept)
- Interworkings of processors, hierarchy of communication, and LP process.